Monday, December 9, 2013

Why I Love Makeup

I'm sure some people who have read my other blog or know me in person wonder why I'm so interested in make-up. There are several reasons I love cosmetics.  Their ability to transform faces  and to be a catalyst for endless creativity. All of the  beautiful colors and finishes combine to make an amazing and nearly endless  coloring book for those who may have outgrown a traditional one.

Makeup doesn't  require one to be a certain size or of a certain income level . Many products can be used in several ways,so very little goes completely to waste. As I've gotten older, makeup has for me become less about vanity and more about creativity and privacy.

 As someone with a disability who needs help with a lot of personal care related activities and doesn't get much privacy in many parts of her day, makeup is loved as something I can do entirely on my own. To many this may not seem like a big deal, but to someone who might need a lot of help with tasks that most people take for granted, having an activity that you enjoy that you can do on your own is very liberating.

Yes, I appreciate every bit of help I've ever gotten but have always wondered what it would be like to do things like have a shower with no one else in my bathroom. I'm also well aware there are people with similar situations (new parents for instance), but unlike parents of young kids, I've never known true privacy. This is a loss yes, but not the end of the world. For at least several hours a week, I apply, talk about, or write about makeup. For me this is like visiting a candy store for work , I love it.

 Whether it is make-up, art, or a sport-whatever. I encourage you to find something  you enjoy and spend time doing it at least a once a week. Perhaps even find a way to make it part of your work.  As you grow more confident in your  "hobby" you may very well grow confident in other things. Give it a try and most importantly...have fun!

Thank you so much for reading, have a wonderful day!

Jennifer

No comments: